Advise needed from a residential landlord

Dear All, I am not sure that this is the sort of question that should be asked here, but I hope someone may be able to offer me some advice. In my work I collaborate with commercial landlords to place charities in their unused spaces, be that shops, offices, warehouses etc. We help the charities move in, and then apply for charitable rates relief on behalf of the landlord. We have recently been given a building consisting of 3 floors, the lower floors are already in use by charities, the upper floor is in the form of two flats and we have permission from the main landlord to rent these out to tenants. Taking on these flats and becoming a residential landlord is very new to me, I am slightly nervous as I don't know all that I will become responsible for. I understand that I need to ensure fire safety and health and safety, but I would like to be able to discuss this and other responsibilities with someone who has this experience. I would like to produce a checklist of everything I need to do initially and on an ongoing basis. if there is anyone out there who is free for a chat, to exchange some emails, or meet for a coffee, that would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Lorraine Turner (07412131122)


Hi Lorraine,

If you're still looking for answers (sorry I haven't looked on the page for a while)
I can help on the health and safety compliance requirements of residential rentals if you want to give me a call on 07703 750279.
(I'm a residential landlord myself and have another business focused on educating landlords about their health and safety responsibilities...)

All the best

Lorraine, hi, one option is to search on our Members Directory, and then reach out to possible businesses in this area and contact via the Contact us button or telephone to ask. I will also call you to discuss as there may be some Bucks Library resources that can help. I need to check first. Ian

Answer this question

You must be signed in to answer