Alliance building East West Rail Phase 2 linking Oxford, Milton Keynes and Bedford, and Milton Keynes with London Marylebone via Aylesbury.
The East West Rail scheme involves upgrading and reconstructing underused and mothballed sections of the railway linking the Great Western, Chiltern, West Coast and Midland main lines north of London and providing a strategic east-west route connecting key towns and cities. It will deliver significant economic, social and environmental benefits to Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire.
Once complete, this work will enable the following train journeys:
• Oxford – Milton Keynes (calling at Oxford Parkway, Bicester, Winslow and Bletchley)
• Oxford – Bedford (calling at Oxford Parkway, Bicester, Winslow, Bletchley, Woburn Sands and Ridgmont)
• Milton Keynes – Aylesbury – London Marylebone (an extension of the existing service between Marylebone and Aylesbury Vale Parkway, with stops anticipated at Bletchley, Winslow, Princes Risborough and High Wycombe)
• Increased capacity for freight services
• A new station at Winslow
• Two new platforms at Bletchley
• Construction of 18 new overbridges
• Construction of 22 new footbridges/subways
• Changes to 97 railway crossings
• Network Rail is the not for dividend owner and operator of Britain’s railway infrastructure
• Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies
• Laing O’Rourke is an internationally-focused construction and engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities
• VolkerRail is a leading multi-disciplinary railway infrastructure contractor.
Atkins: Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies, employing some 18,000 people across the UK, North America, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe. Our people’s breadth and depth of expertise and drive to ask why has allowed us to plan, design and enable some of the world’s most complex and time-critical projects.
Laing O’Rourke: With a heritage spanning over 150 years, Laing O’Rourke is an internationally-focused engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities. We operate an integrated business model comprising the full range of engineering, construction and asset management services delivering single-source solutions for some of the world’s most prestigious public and private organisations.
Committed to a sustainable future, Laing O’Rourke is re-thinking the way the built environment is designed, delivered and operates – collaborating with world-leading industry and academic partners, bringing innovative new solutions, ensuring the most efficient long-term engineering solutions.
VolkerRail: VolkerRail provides a wide range of contracting services to the railway industry from major capital projects to track renewals and specialised operations including signalling, welding, on-track plant and machinery and overhead power supply.
The history of the company traces back to 1935 but the modern day VolkerRail formed as GrantRail in 1996 before rebranding under the VolkerWessels UK umbrella in 2009.
VolkerRail is part of VolkerWessels UK, a multi-disciplinary construction and civil engineering group with a turnover of c£747 million. VolkerWessels UK employs more than 2,400 staff in six operating companies. The group is the UK arm of Dutch based VolkerWessels; one of the largest construction groups in Europe.