T Levels: What they are and how to get involved

T Levels are post-GCSE courses that combine classroom learning with on-the-job industry placements. Businesses are crucial to their success.

T Levels - what they are

T Levels are two-year courses taken by students after completing their GCSEs. Each T Level is equivalent to 3 A levels and helps young people develop the knowledge, attitude and practical skills to thrive in the workplace.

T Levels offer students practical and knowledge-based learning at a school or college and on-the-job experience through an industry placement of at least 315 hours – approximately 45 days.

Students spend approx. 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the essential skills needed for specific job types. The other approx. 20% is a meaningful industry placement with an employer, where they put these skills into action.

Launched in September 2020, courses have been developed in collaboration with employers and education providers so that the content meets the needs of employers and prepares students for entry into skilled employment, an apprenticeship or related technical study through further or higher education.

T Levels are here to stay

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak recently announced plans to create a new ‘Advanced British Standard’ – a new Baccalaureate-style qualification.

NOTE: The new Advanced British Standard is not replacing T Levels.

T Levels will be the backbone of the new qualification, with the technical subjects within the qualification based on the content of T Levels.

Learn more about hosting an industry placement

Businesses are crucial to the success of T Levels. By offering industry placements, you enable young people to get on-the-job experience and complete their studies.

Contact our Workforce Skills Team to discuss offering T Level industry placements. Call 01494 927130 or email WorkforceSkills@bbf.uk.com.

T Levels in Buckinghamshire

T Level courses are available at selected colleges, schools and other providers across England.

Buckinghamshire College Group currently offers a range of T Levels, which you can see listed below.

Students on these courses will require employers to provide them with an industry placement as part of their course.

The college currently offers the following T Levels:

  • T Level in Childcare & Education
  • T Level in Team Leadership & Management
  • T Level in Digital: Support Services
  • T Level in Supporting Healthcare
  • T Level in Digital: Production, Design & Development
  • T Level in Laboratory Science
  • T Level in Plumbing & Heating Engineering
  • T Level in Supporting Mental Health Teams

Learn more about the benefits of engaging with Bucks College Group on industry placements and other work schemes.

Learn more about T Levels on the government website >

Business community ambassadors